Friday, February 19, 2010

Week 2

My impressions of citations and documentation style are that it's very complicated. There's so many rules for each source. It's also very time-consuming. I'm used to MLA format because it's easier for me. It doesn't require a title page, an abstract, or headings. I'm familiar with both APA and MLA formats but I like using the MLA format. Documentation is very important to research because it's considered plaigiarism if you don't give credit to the original author. Documenting research in the body of the paper is easy because all you have to put is the author's last name and the year of publication in parentheses. On the Works Cited page, it's more difficult, and I always have to look up how to document each source. There are many resources available to help with that including the textbook, The Little, Brown Essential Handbook, and many different websites. The websites http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/619/01/ and http://citationmachine.net are helpful resources. It just takes time to get used to different documentation styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment