Saturday, February 27, 2010

ENG 240 Class

I have learned so much in the past four weeks of taking this class. The most important thing I learned was how to write a good argumentative paper. I learned how to write a summary of an essay/article in my own words and analyze it for strengths and weaknesses. I learned about wordiness, different types of claims, providing effective support, and recognizing warrants. When we wrote our exploratory drafts, I was able to write what I knew and thought about my topic, and it helped me see what I still needed to research. It was a good way to get started on my paper. In the Orwell essay, I learned what to avoid in writing and how to use language that is easy to understand. I learned how to research my topic and write an annotated bibliography. I learned about euphemisms, inductive and deductive arguments, fallacies, and plagiarism. I learned more about APA documentation and format.

My performance in this class definitely exceeded my expectations. My writing has improved tremendously, and I have gotten better at summarizing in my own words. I usually disliked writing because I thought that I was a bad writer, but this class has really helped me gain more confidence in writing. I tried my best, and I did better than I thought I would in this class.

If I were taking this class again, I would manage my time better in getting my assignments completed, especially during the last half of the class. I could have started on my assignments earlier instead of doing them on the day it was due. That way I would not have to cram everything and spend so much time on them. I would also do better evaluating essays for weaknesses because almost every essay can be improved. I learned that from the teacher. I would do my annotated bibliography, summary critiques, and exploratory draft the same way because I felt that I did a good job on them.

I think I have earned an "A" in this class because in the past four weeks, I have tried my best in writing, and my grade so far reflects that. I also made the necessary changes/additions to my final paper after reading students' and the teacher's feedback. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but I think I did a good job overall. This class has been a great learning experience for me and has helped me become a better writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment